Black Rice from Manipur is one of the rare qualities of indigenous rice with numerous health benefits . After cooking, the black hue turns purple and it has a slightly nutty flavor which is the hallmark of this rice. It is used to make porridge, kheer, Chinese black cake and many other dishes. Can be used it salads for its colour. It is one of the rare varieties of natural black rice online. It is the only rice to contain the antioxidant called anthocyanins, which is found in dark-hued fruits and vegetables like berries, dark grapes, dark cherries, purple brinjals, purple cabbage and purple corn, purple basil.
Benefits of Black Rice
- Antioxidant Rich, Nutty and Aromatic
- It is rich in iron and phytonutrients (antioxidants)
- Its glutinous properties makes it ideal for risotto and rice pudding Soak for minimum 1 hour or ideally overnight
- It has beautiful purple hue along with a distinctive aroma
- Scroll down for more product details and recipes
Soak the black rice in water for an hour, one cup black rice to two cups water. Black rice turns darker when soaked as it is the natural behaviour of the rice. Pressure cook it till the rice turns glutinous.It has a rich nutty flavour. The cooked rice has a healthy shine to it and is full of flavour and aroma. You can consume it with curries or dal.